Forum home Plants

What to grow through bamboo

We have a row of 4 bamboo plants forming a hedge between us and next door. I’d like to grow something through it for interest and to fill some gaps, and in need of inspiration!  i was thinking a honeysuckle as they seem sturdy, or a climbing rose, but how would they cope with the bamboo movement? Any ideas appreciated.

The area gets a couple of hours sunshine in the evening, and an hour or so in the morning.

thanks!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

I think it would spoil the shape of the bamboo

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,686

I agree with Nut. I think it sounds ok in theory , but in practice it won't work.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,511

I think the wonderful thing about bamboo is being able to see through them ... using the stems to filter the view ... I've seen it trimmed so that the lower leaves are removed leaving the leaves at the top and it looks amazing .......... not what you wanted to hear ......... sorry image

To answer your question, I don't think climbers would work ..........  if you must obscure the view I'd plant some lower growing bamboos or grasses in front of the bamboos. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The bamboo was put in originally as a screen instead of a fence, which allowed us to chat with the old neighbour, provide them with some extra light (their garden is sheltered by a garage and this bamboo), it also offered us some privacy. I do like the bamboo but some gaps are appearing.  Low level planting sound like a good plan, and hopefully some new stems appear to fill some of the gaps!

Thanks everyone.