Forum home Fruit & veg

Depth for Rhubarb

I would like to plant one or two rhubarb crowns but not sure how much depth they will need and spacing.   I have a corner that gets lots of sun , about 2 ft by 3 ft.   A bit stony o the surface and red clay below.   Can build it up, but concerned about the depth of a rhubarb plant.  Any advice?

• you don't want to bury the crown of rhubarb, and they're also hungry plants,

i would dig out a 2 foot square hole and make it as deep as you can, incorporated lots of organic matter into the hole and soil and then plant on a slight mound

• When I moved the rhubarb growing here when I moved in, it was a tiny little thing planted in the worst possible position. I moved it to a sunnier spot, yet with shade in the morning, onto a ancient road, so I didn't want to dig, instead I made a raised bed (about 20 cm deep), fed it with tones of manure and it is now 150 cm in width.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,434

I agree with Treehugger - dig lots of organic matter into the site.  Don't forget that within a few years, if you look after it,  your rhubarb will become a very big plant

This one is five years old, so give it plenty of room to grow ... you don't want to have to keep digging it up and moving it because when you do it sets it back and you have to give it a rest from picking for a year so that it can become established again.

Ideally I would give each crown an area of 1m x 1m.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• YIKES - I will have to think about another spot in the garden, I think.   Are there varieties that don't get that ginormous?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,434

Not that I'm aware of ... if you look after it properly it will grow .......... you can of course dig it up in the winter and split it every so often (I'll have to do that to ours next year or the year after) but you then need to leave it a year without taking any stems to avoid weakening the plant so I don't want to do it too often.

I regard ours as ornamental as well as culinary ... it saves us growing any of those big leaved herbaceous plants you see in very smart gardens image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 362

Agree on it being ornamental, lovely huge leaves.....useful for exotic/jungle type look.....doubly large leaves if you use horse manure/similar as i discovered only last year.

• How deep will the roots grow folks

• UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 362

not particularly deep.  Maybe a foot, no more than two.  other opinions may vary!   I created a bed raised about one foot for mine, the soil being on what used to be a railway bed is a few inch before it becomes very rocky.    If you gave them two foot of quality soil, maybe they'd use it, but don't necessarily need it.

• Brilliant advice everyone.   Thank you.  I shall have a go!