Forum home Fruit & veg

Pruning my plums

I’m new to gardening. I have grown vegetables for some years, but I don’t know much about fruit trees.

I moved into my new home in September and at the bottom of the garden there is an old overgrown apple tree and an old overgrown plum tree. Both looked like they hadn’t been pruned for years.

The apple tree produced lots of apples although very high up and the plum tree produced very few plums, but again very high towards the top of the tree.

As you can see I’ve had ago of pruning the apple tree following advice on the Internet, but looking closer I don’t think I’ve done a great job of that and maybe it won’t produce any fruit this season.

I read that plum trees should be pruned somewhere between April and May, and as that is fast approaching, I’m looking for some advice on how to best prune the plum tree.

Any advice would be much appreciatedimage

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,644

ONCE AGAIN, MY TRUSTY BOOK, “GROWING FRUIT” BY HARRY BAKER COMES UP WITH THE ANSWER.

HERE IS A PAGE FROM IT FOR YOU TO PERUSE.

PLEASE NOTE THE TIME OF YEAR FOR PRUNING PLUM TREES -MUCH LATER THAN YOU THINK.

FEEL FREE TO STAND ON YOUR HEAD WHILE READING IT. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THE PHOTO CAME OUT UPSIDE DOWN.image

Last edited: 19 February 2018 16:11:11

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pansyface says:

ONCE AGAIN, MY TRUSTY BOOK, “GROWING FRUIT” BY HARRY BAKER COMES UP WITH THE ANSWER.

HERE IS A PAGE FROM IT FOR YOU TO PERUSE.

PLEASE NOTE THE TIME OF YEAR FOR PRUNING PLUM TREES -MUCH LATER THAN YOU THINK.

FEEL FREE TO STAND ON YOUR HEAD WHILE READING IT. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THE PHOTO CAME OUT UPSIDE DOWN.image

Last edited: 19 February 2018 16:11:11

See original post

thanks you - really useful. Does your book have anything of grafting for plum trees or in general. what is the book called.

NO, HE DOESN’T GO INTO GRAFTING.

THE BOOK IS CALLED “GROWING FRUIT” THE AUTHOR IS HARRY BAKER AND MY EDITION WAS PUBLISHED IN 2005. FIRST PUBLISHED IN 1980. THE TITLE PAGE OF MY EDITION SAYS THAT HARRY BAKER “RECENTLY RETIRED AS FRUIT OFFICER OF THE RHS GARDEN AT WISLEY”.

THE BOOK COVERS THE CULTIVATION OF SOFT FRUITS, TREE FRUITS AND WARM TEMPERATE FRUITS. HOW TO PLANT, HOW TO PRUNE, HOW TO TRAIN AND HOW TO STORE. THE ILLUSTRATIONS AND DESCRIPTIONS ARE EXCELLENT.

I DON’T KNOW IF IT IS STILL IN PRINT BUT I AM SURE COPIES ARE OUT THERE.

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,160

Just googled it on Amazon and you can buy it for as little as 1p plus postage.

Hope this helps.

COR!

AND I PAID £9.99 TWELVE YEARS AGO!

SNOT RIGHT.image

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,863

I SECOND PANSYFACE'S BOOK RECOMMENDATION.  WHEN WORKING AS A GARDENER I SOMETIMES PRUNED A NEW-TO-ME FRUIT TREE WITH THE BOOK OPEN AT THE RELEVANT PAGE, IN MY FREE HAND...  image

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

• thanks all. i purchased the book mentioned and another about grafting ' 

ill let you know how i get on

EXCELLENT.