Forum home Fruit & veg

Orange, lemon and a lime tree!

I have an Orange Lemon and a lime tree which are young plants and have been kept inside during the cold weather so are not back outside yet. The problem is that all the younger leaves have not turned dark green but are mottled a lighter green and almost yellow. 

I presume there is a deficiency of some sort but don't know what it is. Any ideas and can I start feeding them now?

Thanks

Nick

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,331

Depends where you mean, inside, they wont like to be kept in a house, shed/garage/greenhouse frost free will be OK, we buy specilalist winter and summer feed, water them once a week in winter, with rain water.  Can we have a picture?

• Thanks for reply, lime lemon and orange have been in a greenhouse and latterly in a heated conservatory. Are you able to name the make of feed you use? I have taken a couple of pictures.imageimageimage

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,704

Your photos show your plant needs a high nitrogen feed to help it along right now. A liquid lawn feed will help for now. You need to store them in a cool unheated place in the winter months. Make sure you are not over watering them too. A fine mist around the leaves are enough. Collect rain water so you can water them, avoid tap water.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,176

It looks like magnesium deficiency. Use proprietary citrus feed (chempak or baby bio each do one). failing that, a pinch of epsom salts in rainwater to water with could help.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,331

conservatory with heat problably too hot for them, they do say they will loose their leaves at below 10d, but rarely find this happens.if you keep them too warm, you get pests in winter, scale insect, aphids, flaiming nuisance!  You can get citrus fertiliser from "The Citrus Centre" Pulborough Sussex,liquid which you can use all year round, no need to use a summer and winter one.  The other one is "Gardenline", granules you mix with water, you get obtain in nurseries and garden centres.We have a grapefruit my Husband grew from a pip, 20 years ago, hich is about 4 feet high, by 3 feet wide now, huge big stem.