Forum home Wildlife gardening

Birds

I've recently purchase some sunflower hearts. I always use Johnson and Jeff ones which have no problems with. The sack I've got seems to be giving me problems. The goldfinches land on the feeders and some seeds drop out. What a mess I have on the lawn. Is there different grades of seeds. They were £15 for a 13kg bag. Can anyone help.

• Maybe the holes in your feeder are too large? What feeder are you using?

I use the Apollo 7 port feeder from CJ Wildlife with my sunflower hearts, It has metal feeding ports which can't get chewed, and it works really well...

Last edited: 18 February 2018 18:29:30

• Check out Haiths - they supply various seeds - either mixtures or separate types. Plenty of  other suppliers too. 

Goldies do like their own feeders for Nyger seed.image

• The only lost sunflower hearts I suffer are when Wood Pigeons try and use the feeder, which thankfully they struggle with, and they tend to rake out the hearts and then eat them off the ground. Pesky wood pigeons!!!

By far the best hearts I've used are from Croston Corn Mill 

https://www.thecornmill.com/sunflower

Last edited: 18 February 2018 18:32:28

• zakzakzakzak Posts: 92

I use metal feeders they don't have feeding ports. It's a metal top and bottom. With mesh in between. The label on them said they were sunflower feeders?

• FireFire LondonPosts: 7,189

I have found one type that are just the seeds, not the husks. The goldies make a hell of mess in my garden dehusking my seeds. I don't mind the visuals but am afraid of rats coming in to feed. If I attach a tray to the feeder the wood pigeons land on it and the weight knocks all the seed out of the feeder. Hopefully husked seeds are the answer. We shall see.