Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tastiest tomatoes?

I'm just sorting through my tomato seeds and trying to grow varieties this year based on the best tasting tomatoes.

I've chosen Gardeners' Delight, Green Zebra and Golden Sunrise as my top 3 and would like to know what other varieties come in other gardeners' top 3 so I can add some more to my list. Please let me know which tomatoes I shouldn't be without this summer.

There's more on my favourites and those that narrowly missed the top 3 on the blog this weekend...

https://dogwooddays.net/2018/02/17/3-top-tasting-tomatoes/

Happy sowing imageimage

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I like the sweet flavour of Sungold best. But I live in France and the varieties aren't the same here. Dona, a large French one is good but you probably wouldn't find it in the UK. I get my Sungold seeds in England.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Thanks for the recommendations. I'll add them to the list image

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

I can thoroughly recommend Rose de Berne for taste and suitable for UK weather. Can be bought here (scroll down to find description):

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/tomatoes_vines_big.html

There are other suppliers, just google "buy Rose de Berne". Good luck

• Thanks - I've already had this suggested on the blog, so it's obviously a tasty one. It's currently top of my list of new varieties to try. image (And I love Real Seeds - such a fabulous selection...)

• PerkiPerki Posts: 2,527

Sungold and Suncherry premium are lovely and sweet my favourite 2 . I like G delight as well. I am growing sweet million as well this year.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I grew Sweet Million last year, they certainly lived up to their name and all ripened. 

I always grow Roma for cooking, sometimes SAN Marzano, last year also Jersey Devils.

This year, Sweet Millions, Roma, Jersey Devil and Harbinger.

i sow early so never have green ones left over.

Tried Green Zebra, didn’t like the taste. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Sounds like a great combination of different varieties. Jersey Devil sounds interesting...

This is a google image, but some of them were this huge, they don’t have pips  or a core so lovely for cooking, but my favourite is on toast with ground salt and black pepper. 

• raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,091

wow - that looks amazing image

Sungold almost always wins blind tastings. I think it came out well in last year's Beechgrove taste test as well. I grew it last year for the first time - it is prolific in my less than ideal growing conditions and it is very sweet. 

I do like to have a bigger, meatier tomato as well though, for cooking and preserving (home made ketchup is just the best but it takes so many tomatoes to make even a small bottle). I may have to try 'Jersey Devil' sometime - maybe when I have a proper greenhouse 

Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.” 

Roma and san marzano are good for cooking, these are the ones that go into a tin of Italian tomatoes.  there wasn’t a big crop on the Jerseys.