Woodpeckers and squirrel proof feeders

2»

• Lizzie,do you think the Jackdaws would be repelled by it?  I'm still happy to put scraps out for them,but the seed and Robin food is too expensive for the big birds as they need more to fill up!!!!

The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,570

Hello Cazgo

Yes, we have jackdaws too and they cannot get to the seed as they are too heavy to sit on the perches. This activates the steel drop down shutters so they give up, same as the squirrels. It's amusing too see them try sometimes though.

• I bought a clear plastic bowl type. The work as long as there is sufficient distance between the pole and the eadge of the plastic.

The other option is to put Vaseline on the pole, they cant grip and therefore cannot climb up

• Just had a look at the Homgar feeder Lizzie,yes I see how it works,and yes,it's a bit expensive,but of course you're paying for a clever design. Think I'll ask for a couple for my birthday!  Seeds and fatballs to be going on with!!

The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,570

That's good, nice birthday present! We had tried all the other squirrel proof feeders, but they were mostly impossible to clean and got all ucky. These, you just gently pull up the bottom baffle, which exposes two buttons either side which you press, the clear tube just slides up and everything goes in the hot washing bowl. (It did take me some months to work this out which is why I'm passing this tip on!)

As far as I know Homegar is the only stockist.