Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Sharpening tools

What sharpening equipment do the forum folk recommend? I am looking to sharpen my spade, hoe, etc but dont want to use my wetstone which I have for kitchen knives (although I may use it for my secateurs). 

Any advice or recomendations?

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    Bob Flowerdew recommended a carborundum stone for this on GQT this Sunday - whatever that is!
  • From a position of complete ignorance, I just looked this up on the net and found that carborundum stone is an old-fashioned term for a silicon carbide stone, thus educating myself if nobody else!

• I would use a file to shape your bevel on these types of tools, followed by 120 grit sandpaper to smooth out the file marks. A quick spray of GT85 and a wipe with a rag and your good to go.

Secateurs a whetstone is good if you can get it in there but I like the small DMT red diamond stone to get a razor sharp cutting edge on my Felco No.2.
  • flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

my husband has an old sharping stone he uses and it certainly sharpens as i often cut my fingers when he has done the knives.

• bcosergiobcosergio Posts: 27

Thanks for your suggestions and replies. image