Climbers for north facing wall

2»

• Sandra100Sandra100 Posts: 122

I've got two pots, one on each side of my front door.  They're a decent size but not huge.  It's north facing and I've got a clematis in each one.  Every year I refresh the compost, just by about 4 inches.  I always think they've had it when they die down after flowering, but they come back every year and create a lovely display.  

So I would say, just go for it.  Sorry I don't know the varieties, they were really cheap, I think I got them from Morrissons for £2 each.  If you don't try you'll never know.  It's worked for me!!

• Sandra100Sandra100 Posts: 122

Forgot to say, there's a trellis above each one, and I just tie them in as they grow.

• lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 253

Thankyou Sandra, I will give it a go.

• FfiongreenowFfiongreenow Cardiff Posts: 16
    Hiya - I have susie harwhistle rose from harkness growing on a North wall and doing really well. It's about to flower and I only planted it from. Bare root in February. X
  • Jason-3Jason-3 Posts: 155
    I'e just planted a climbing rose in a large terrocota pot...West facing.  Not sure how it will get on. But I can only try
  • Richard HodsonRichard Hodson Posts: 708
    North wall. Pot. Clematis. Picture taken this morning. Don't be put off by all the clematis myths.
  • lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 253
    I will give clematis a go. Thankyou everyone!
  • FfiongreenowFfiongreenow Cardiff Posts: 16
    I know you said you'll try clematis but here's a picture of susie harwhistle at the moment...  Its in a raised sleeper bed and smells lush 

2»