What to do with Grass Cuttings - No Plants!

What can I do with my grass cuttings from half an acre of grass and clover mix. My garden only has grass and metres of beech hedge all round. I can keep turning it as compost but it will grow and take over without being used. Any ideas please. It costs so much to be picked up by the council. The bags are not cheap either.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,933

Put it on Freecycle where the 'buyer' uplifts.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,866

NOT QUITE SURE WHY YOU DON’T HAVE ANY FLOWERBEDS. MAYBE YOU DON’T LIKE FLOWERS? 

ANYWAY, GET SOME PALLETS OF SIMILAR DIMENSIONS - 8 WOULD BE GOOD- (EASY TO PICK UP FOR FREE) AND 8 4”x4”x3’ FENCE POSTS. BANG THE POSTS INTO THE GROUND, SCREW THE PALLETS ONTO THE SIDES AND TOSS THE COMPOST INTO ONE OF YOUR 2 NEW COMPOST HEAPS. 

AS THE SUMMER PROGRESSES, CONTINUE TO FILL ONE OF THE HEAPS, LEAVING THE OTHER EMPTY.  NEXT SUMMER, FILL THE SECOND ONE AND USE THE FIRST AS A BED IN WHICH TO GROW PUMPKINS, COURGETTES, MARROWS, OUTDOOR TOMATOES OR ANY OTHER THING THAT TAKES YOUR FANCY. 

IN THE THIRD YEAR YOU CAN FILL UP THE FIRST HEAP WHICH WILL BY NOW BE MUCH DEPLETED. OR YOU CAN GET MORE PALLETS AND POSTS AND BUILD ANOTHER HEAP.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,563

I shred beech trimmings and mix it up with grass cuttings to make compost. If you don't want fine compost, why don't you take the grass box off and leave the cuttings on the grass. The council do that around here. It seems to make little difference unless you want a bowling green.  If you cut it regularly before it gets too long, the worms pull the fine cuttings down into the subsoil.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,570

I would also leave the clippings on the lawn.

As fidgetbones says the local parks do it and although it maybe unsightly for a couple of days it all disappears very quickly.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,570

...or make it into a meadow and you only need to collect cuttings about once a year!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Wow this is a busy forum. Instant replies image.

Lots of good ideas here as well thank you all.

Freecycle - yeah why not.

Flower beds - maybe when I retire but when I'm not working I'm a musician (rehearsing and playing scales all day sadly). Maybe grow some vegies later on.

Leave the cuttings in place - that's the laziest one yet. Very tempting. I'll be cutting it every two weeks if that's enough. Giving the worms some hurdles will get them fit.

Meadow - Nice but perhaps I'm doing this wrong. Remember the free wild flower seeds? Well I decided to make a starter meadow last year by scattering them on the grass and letting it grow. What I got was a load of weeds that grew so thick and tall they crowded out the flowers. So I just had lots of docks, thistle, nettles etc which wasn't very nice to look at. Perhaps that is a meadow but I'm sure I've seen better. Maybe this should be another thread then. How to grew a nice meadow.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,563

Mow at least once a week in summer.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Oh. Alright then. image 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.