raised wooden veg beds

I've just bought two raised wooden beds, described in the garden centre as 'veg beds' (to prevent dogs getting to them, and to help my aching back!)

Should I line them with anything? I presume they're made out of tannelised timber (if thats the right word). Is there anything in the wood that could contaminate the veg?

Thinking of using black plastic sacks or compost bags? Is it worth it?

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,632

Jury's out on that one, I think, so it's down to how comfortable you feel about the wood (I'd probably go by how strongly 'chemical' it smells). I haven't lined mine (made from pressure treated scaffold boards) and I don't think I've suffered any ill health as a result. But if they smell strongly of creosote or some such, then maybe it would be wise.

Flying...
    Or am I falling?
  • si2011si2011 Posts: 3

I would hope if bought from a reputable garden centre the wood should have been treated with something that wont leach.

Might be worth looking at the manufacturer's specs or recommendations online if they have a branding etc.

You could line them anyway to retain some moisture for the summer months as you would a hanging basket to reduce the need for too much watering. don't forget to pierce the bags for some drainage.

• liz200liz200 Posts: 2

thank you. I was thinking of the anti-weed mesh that you can buy by the metre?

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,411

Old railway sleepers will have been treated with creosote.  Research findings so far are ambiguous: it may leach into the compost, it may be taken up by the plants, it may get into the edible parts, maybe in toxic amounts.  If it's new timber, it should be OK.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

I've lined my scaffolding boards with damp-proof course plastic in the hope that the boards will rot more slowly.

Last edited: 18 January 2018 18:21:45