Forum home Plants

New Solar Year

Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,819

Maybe I'm being a bit overly optimistic here , but four-days into the new Solar Year and there already seems to be a change in the intensity of daylight .

Bulbs and Hellebores are growing strongly ; things are on the move again .

Lets all hope it stays fairly mild !image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

I always feel more positive once the Solstice is passed.  image

Heading for the New Year's Day Flower Count now, it won't be a huge as last year after the snow and frost but shouldn't be too bad

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Perhaps it's just me but it is still awfully dark in the morning and not much better now.  I look forward to getting the shortest day over but the cloud and rain make me wonder if I've got the date wrongimage

I still have Calendula, Lavender and a couple of fuschias out - the winter honeysuckle and Jasmine too so I suppose I shouldn't complain image

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,819

Due to axial tilt , the mornings will continue to get darker for a while , but the evenings are beginning to extend .

I've some Hellebores in flower now , plus the diminishing Schizostylis are still putting on a brave show .

We've had a dry day today with moderate sunshine (E.Lincs.) ; think we've all had enough rain for the time being image !

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,671

Sounds good Paul hope you’ll take part in the New year Flower Count thread.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Paul - axial tilt - do we therefore need more fat people or more thin people at this end of the world to tip the balance ?

Or do I just have to wait a bit longer ?image

The rain continues to fall steadily here in Somersetimage

Maybe an equal distribution of fat around the world would negate axial tilt completely .

Food for thought here :- When you're in bed awaiting dawn these mornings , remember (and it's a difficult thought to ingest) , that every portion of the earths surface receives exactly the same amount of sunlight per year !! ; although in varying degrees .

No , I'm not insane , this is just another result of 'axial tilt' . image

• Well, I'll try and remember that Paulimage

I used to have a telescope in my bedroom many years ago - maybe I'll treat myself to a new one and spend the dark mornings trying to pinpoint exactly where I need to place either a fat person or a thin one.  Or maybe I'll just do what I usually do and sit quietly with my book and cup of tea until I can see out of the windowimage

Insanity is just another frame of mind..........I'm sure someone will have said that at some point.

philippasmith2

Happy New (calendar) Year !!

Hard to accept that for example :- Hull receives the equivalent amount of daylight as Havana in Cubaimage , whilst we in sunny Lincolnshire rival Los Angeles .

It's a mad (or maybe insane) world image .