Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hybrid tea roses in pots

I want to plant roses either side of an east facing blood red front door but I lack the depth on one side due to drains I think. So I've impulse purchased two 36cm deep and wide pots knowing 50cm would be betterimage However...

1. What can I do to make this a success?

2. Scented repeat flowering suggestions please. Pots are glazed olive. Property Victorian in red brick. Garden will be mainly 20mm beach gravel, 'hot lips salvia' to the front perimeter brick wall, dwarf lavender up the path and 6ft privet hedges left and right.

All assistance gratefully received as I'd hate to get it wrong.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Rather than HT roses I'd go for floribundas ... that way you'll get more blooms over a small area, and I've found they're more suited to container growing.

What about this one? https://www.classicroses.co.uk/roses/floribundas-cluster-roses/red-abundance-bush-rose.html 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• NoviceKNoviceK Posts: 10

Ooh! Thanks DoveFromAboveimage Gonna check out ALL Floribundas now but Red Abundance is pretty gorgeous. Just want to compare thorns tooimage

• Having searched locally then online, I found Red Abundance was unfortunately not abundantly available...just one for sale. BUT I did find, a pretty low maintenance alternative...Lophomyrtus x ralphii 'Magic Dragon'. Hope to create my pots this weekend with pale and dark pink hyacinths plus current fuschia and dark red cyclamen. Front garden is a slow work in progress but it'll be nice to have something nice to look at and encourage a bit more action.

• You do realise it's frost tender, don't you? But so are the cyclamen, so perhaps you live somewhere really warm.

• image Novice by name, novice by nature. I was advised that they were fine for my East Sussex location but having read your post Buttercup, I should have Googled before buying. Looks like I'll be bubble wrapping the pots

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700

If they are in pots and right up against your east wall, they will probably be fine. As long as it's not in the ground, it should be fine.

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

Magic Dragon is a purple pink. Is that ok against a red door? Why not look for patio roses - especially bred for pots. There is a lot of them around nowadays. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Borderline...2 in pots at the front. Another in the groundimage in the back garden, similar situation but 'protected' by a viburnum, brick wall, compost bin and garage.

Hogweed...I felt the pots weren't large enough for the roses I craved. And the Dragons are so pretty. They'll be fine with our red door, especially as I have teamed them with bright red and bright pink cyclamens. Eye-catching you might sayimage  Will post a pic soon