Forum home Fruit & veg

Planting garlic

im planning on planting my garlic this week, any advice would be welcome 

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,800

Reasonably free draining soil, break up the bulbs into individual cloves, only plant the fat ones, plant each clove pointy end up - a stretched hand width spacing between cloves. They don't seem too fussed on depth but I put mine in so they have roughly their own height in soil depth above them.  Keep the weeds down. There's not much more to it, really. image

“There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • Thanks 

• mines been in since late October and is already 6 inches tall ready to ride out the winter.

the problem garlic has is it can rot before it roots, so I start mine in small 8cm pots in the greenhouse and plant out once the roots are showing through the bottom. (making sure to pick a day when frost isn't going to be happening for a couple of days to get them settled in).

• treehugger80 says:

mines been in since late October and is already 6 inches tall ready to ride out the winter.

the problem garlic has is it can rot before it roots, so I start mine in small 8cm pots in the greenhouse and plant out once the roots are showing through the bottom. (making sure to pick a day when frost isn't going to be happening for a couple of days to get them settled in).

See original post

Would you recommend starting in my greenhouse then? May take a couple of months to be ready for allotment 

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,800

You can do if you don't have anywhere suitable but it does resent root disturbance so I wouldn't chose to do that unless you need to. It will stand the cold, it just doesn't cope well with sitting in heavy wet soil - hence my 'reasonably free draining' comment above. I've always sown mine direct, usually about 12 cloves each of two different types. In mild wet winters (2013/14, comes to mind - I don't think we had a single day when it didn't rain that winter nor any frost at all) I have lost maybe 2 or 3 out of 24. But in a 'normal' winter they've all come up fine.

“There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • Straight in the soil it is then cheers 

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Bencurto; you want fertile (well fed with compost / manure) and well draining. This means the water doesn't sit in the soil for days on end as garlic seem to  rot easily. I found building a trench by my garlic to aid drainage helps if the soil is very wet.