Forum home Plants

Phlomis russelliana

CopperdogCopperdog Posts: 364

Apologies for asking again but I'm still unsure what I can do with this plant.. I feel it's really very congested! I would usually leave it as I love the seed heads but this has just turned into a massive congested look of new and old leaves that are rotting away. I know the plant won't come to any harm to leave it but can I chop this to around 6 inches to let light and air get to it and perhaps divide it? I've seen some small plants of it near by that have self seeded but can I chop and divide it to tidy it up rather than leave until spring? 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,201

I chop bits off the edges for new plants in the Spring. If it needs rejuvenating, that is when I would dig it up and split it.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • CopperdogCopperdog Posts: 364

Thanks fidget, will it hurt it if I cut it back now? It's a strange one to divide as it's really woody! Do you literally just chop into it? Thankyou

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,686

I've divided one before and it kinda broke up almost by itself into sensible chunks . If yours isn't so agreeable, I'd chop it with an old bread knife, or a spade if it's too big for the knife.

Devon.