Forum home Problem solving

Big problem with dahlias

Basically, I have a dahlia collection. Probably about 150 or so of them. And I never had this, I should say, huge problem with tubers. a few days back I dug out my tubers and cleaned them under running water, so the tubers would be shiny clean. I do this every year. However, this year I cleaned them, and let them dry over 3 days period. Then I put them away as every year before, into bathtub in my basement, and then cover them with dry peat moss. And I can't believe my eyes - all of the tubers are starting to sprout!!! I don't know what to do, I just saw that all of them started growing shoots from the dormant eyes! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! I am scared that I can loose my collection! What should I do?!?! please, help somebody! I am so scared, I think I did a big mistake by using warm water to wash them and somehow managed to awake the dormant eyes! Please, HELP!imageimageimage

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,513

I think you may have dug them up too early perhaps? I'm seeing a lot of dahlias still in full bloom right now, assuming you're in the UK.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,216

Probably why they say leave them in the ground until the frost had ruined them and turned all of the stalks black.

I don’t lift mine, winters are not as cold as they used to be, but if you do live in a cold Northern area then it’s best done in November. I dare say those shoots will die through the winter, I wouldn’t worry about it. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• You sure that they'll die? I am very worried, but you eased my mind a bit. I really hope everything will be good. Thanks for your reply ?