Climbers for north facing wall

lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 238

Evening all! ????. Is there a climber for a north facing wall that would be happy in a pot?? There is trellis fixed to the garage wall but paving slabs beneath!

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 2,171

If you are planting in a pot, it should be at the very least 40cm wide by 40cm deep. Ideally more as the plants need to put down roots to grow.

Trachelospermum Jasminoides, the Star Jasmine will perform once established. Scented and evergreen sometimes leaves turning red in late autumn to winter time. A great all round performer.

Lornicera Tellmanniana, one of the Honeysuckles that doesn't smell, but makes up for being a nice compact performer that throws out striking deep yellow to orange flowers that almost glows from a distance. Does well in shade too.

Last edited: 01 October 2017 22:26:44

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,115

Hydrangea Petiolaris loves a north facing wall.

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,173

Could you pry up a slab or two and create a planting pocket? I think this will save you a lot of effort in the long run.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 12,811

I think 40cms is way too small.  It needs more width and depth to ensure better moisture levels for root s and also some protection against severe cold.  60cms minimum or maybe a wider trough about 60cms deep.  You'd need to use good John Innes 3 compost and make sure it is regularly fed and watered.

There are many clematis that would be happy on a north facing wall but they'd need a deep root run as they are hungry beasts and thirsty in the growing season.  Lonicera periclymenum 'Serotina' would be happy there and so would roses such as Souvenir du Dr Jamain and Wedding Day - if you have space for that one.

You could also think about a fan trained morello cherry on a suitable dwarfing stock.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 238

I can't even think about pulling up a slab Will DB ?. I have a "patio" full of block paving which I'm gradually pulling up to make more beds and that's hard enough. The previous owners loved hard landscaping!!!?. I don't know what else to do with the trellis. Maybe I should just grow something tall in pots in front of it to hide it? I've got a bug hotel hanging on it so I could add some more.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 12,811

Paint it or otherwise smarten it up and then decorate it - fairy lights, ornaments, hanging pots......

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Thanks everyone for your suggestions

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,153

Take the trellis down?

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,153

Sorry I didn't mean that to sound glib on re-reading it could seem that way.

North facing in my experience isn't easy anyway but in a pot makes it way more difficult.

I've had clematis in pots and they've only done enough to survive rather than flourish.  If it were me, I would pull up a couple of slabs and create a planting pocket in which one of the alpine clematis might work for you.  Have a read up about them, they're tolerant of cold, exposure and rather sunless spots.  I've noticed my Clematis Napaulensis coming back to life this week and it's in a horrible wind tunnel between two buildings on a trellis with no wall behind it.  The books say they die off in Summer, and it did, but the book said don't worry it will come back, and it did.

Anyway, another idea/launching point for research.

Best of luck.

Thankyou for all your suggestions. I really can not see myself pulling up the slabs. Would a living wall work?  Are there no climbers at all that would grow in a pot?