Forum home Problem solving

Weed and feed

ive recently weeded and feeded (probably bit too much) my front and back lawns about 2 days ago, it had rained the night before and the grass was still abit wet, but it also HEAVY rained the next day, within 24 hours, it will of been around the 20hour mark... I’ve read you’ve got to wait atleast 48 in some circumstances, would the weed and feed of had enough time to work? Some patches have started to blacken but alot of the weeds still look to be ok... what’s the wait time to notice it properly with it? Thanks 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,947

It takes quite a while to work on the weeds, you may see accelerated growth first. Give it time.

you will need to scrape all that black moss out, but not yet, give it a good chance to work first.. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,772

If I'm using similar products I usually do it when rain is forecast within 24 hours ... seems to work just fine.

As Lyn says, the weedkiller isn't immediate ... it  takes a while to work and the weeds may put on a growth spurt first.  Don't panic.  It'll be fine.    I'd give the moss at least ten days or more to blacken before raking it out.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,141

Hi Blenkiron,

I used to use "weed and feed" products on my lawn some years ago. I would say that too much result is expected from those products (certainly the blurb on the packaging is exaggerated).

I have now completely abandoned those products in favour of the following routine:

- spread a mixture of sand and compost on the lawn in Spring;

- aerate with a garden fork (as much as I can);

- scarify in Spring and --- if I can summon up the courage --- in Autumn as well (with hand-scarifier);

- hand-pick unwanted weeds throughout the season.

My soil is rather heavy clay but regularly improved; I do get moss, removed by scarifying. That lawn is less than 150 m² so small enough for providing this kind of manual treatment. I understand much larger lawns might need the use of specific products and mechanical treatment.

Here are some pics of the lawn and the surrounding borders. Not looking too bad IMHO.image

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • What a beautiful garden Papi Jo , have you any other views or photos in the spring ?

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,141

Thanks for the compliments, Pauline and Dilly. Plenty more photos on my garden site at http://www.rezeau.org/wp-garden/en/category/photos-en/ 

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Thanks very much for the link to your website. I've just had a good look round your lovely garden, you must be very proud of all your hard work. ?