Forum home Fruit & veg

Growing dwarf fruit trees North Yorkshire

I'm been to a tree nursery local to me with the intention of getting a couple of dwarf fruit trees.. I was advised that dwarf root stock doesn't grow well north as the winter is colder and can kill the roots. Is this correct? I'm wanting a Victoria plum and a cherry.. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,126

YOU MIGHT FIND THIS HANDY.

https://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/whatgrowshere.aspx

DWARF ROOTSTOCKS DO MAKE TREES THAT HAVE GREATER NEEDS IN TERMS OF FEEDING AND WATERING, IT'S TRUE. BECAUSE THE ROOTS ARE SMALLER THAN THOSE OF TALLER TREES. I SUPPOSE IF YOU HAVE A VERY HARD WINTER WITH DEEPLY PENETRATING FROST THERE MIGHT BE A RISK OF IT KILLING A DWARF TREE.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I have trees growing on extreme dwarfing root stocks (step overs) and i'm north of you, so as long as you protect the tree in a really cold winter (and water and feed well in summer) you should be fine.

just don't grow them in pots, as it increases your chances of losing them in cold weather.

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,547

'Dwarf' means 'weak' or at least 'less vigorous'. Hence more prone to failure in more difficult conditions. I wanted small apple trees and was advised (by the apple tree man at RHS Rosemoor) to plant non-dwarfing trees because the very windy conditions here would naturally tend to dwarf the trees anyway. Dwarfing rootstock would probably mean the trees would be too weak to survive in my garden. 

I think it's less about latitude and more about altitude. If you have a sheltered garden in a lowland spot then you'll probably be fine with dwarf trees. If you live half way up a mountain facing the North Sea, then they'll likely turn up their toes in less than one season.

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first”