Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Seeds query

Sorting out seed today  some packets unopened some opened  that I bought last year and never used . They say past there used by date on some and  some have no dates at all .Should I throw them or still use them .Some tomatoe seeds. courgettes,cucumbers,  some flowers various seeds . What are the odds on them growing ? I have a very small garden so only use a few seeds each year . It seems  a waste to throw them away but I don't want to waste my time on them if they don't grow well .Any help would be useful  Thanks Mo image

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Common question recently-do a test sowing in a small pot with some compost or on some damp kitchen roll enclosed in a small tub-like a bread spread container-keep somewhere warm-check daily-they should quickly germinate-then you know where you areimage

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Hi Mo, in my experience, tomato seeds can last for many years so they will probably germinate just fine.  Courgette and cucumber seeds may only last a year or two, but worth trying.  All of the above are fast germinators, so you should see signs of life within a week - if not, it leaves you plenty of time to buy fresh seeds.

For your flower seeds, sprinkle a few from each packet onto damp folded kitchen wipes then place them in sealed plastic bags and put somewhere warm and dark.  Inspect every few days and if no sign of germination after about 10-14 days, I'd write them off.

A lot depends on where you stored the opened packets.  If kept cool and dry, most seeds will stay viable for longer.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • mo6mo6 Posts: 28

Brilliant advise . Will try the kitchen roll test and see if it does the trick If I start now it will give me plenty of time before I start planting properly .Many thanks  to both of you.  image