garden rescue tv prog.

Did anyone watch this prog. yesterday  the one from Norwich. if so can anyone tell me what was the name of the little prunus that was planted and would it be hardy enough to grow in Scotland?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,400

Bumping this up for you Kate.

I didn't see the prog,  but most Prunus would be perfectly hardy up here, unless your garden is very high up (over the tree line height pf about 1200 feet)  or very exposed, or right on the coast, where they would get some damage  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I didn't see it, so I'm guessing, but might it have been P. Kojo-no--mai?

It's a pretty little cherry tree with small white flowers. I have one growing quite happily in a pot here in the cold, wet and windy Pennines at 1200ft, so unless you are halfway up Ben Nevis you would probably be ok with it. Mine is looking lovely right now with bright red autumn colouring. It competes every year with the Japanese maple in the next pot!

• FairyGirl and Buttercupdays Thank you both very much for your interest. No one seems to have seen this prog. I have just moved from 2 acres in rural Gloucestershire to a city garden in windy Edinburgh, it is a good size garden for a city but I am finding it hard to find smaller trees  etc. So that is why I am watching all the TV progs. that I can looking for inspiration. Thank you both again 

In Edinburgh it will be fine Kate image  

B'cupdays - afraid it would have no chance half way up Nevis - that's 2, 200 feet  image

That must be a nice combo though - the cherry and the Acer. Which Acer is it? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,437

Garden Rescue from Norwich???  I must've been asleep image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I think they might be repeats Dove, but not sure image

• Hi, I recorded that programme and have just watched it today.  

The tree was Prunus Autumnalis, when they were pricing up the costs they said that tree had cost £185 I'm sure you could get one for less than that. I think that garden turned out nice, one of the better ones. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Fairy

It's just an ordinary red leaved A. palmatum, nothimg special, but I've had it for years and it copes with sun, rain, wind and cold and always looks good. They do look good together and I plan my spring bulb display around them each year.

I have a few others that are doing ok, but they grow quite slowly here. I would like to get a couple more, but I find it hard to pay the usual high price for  just one plant, even though I understand why it costs so much, and I haven't quite pushed myself to the sticking point yet!