Forum home Fruit & veg

Compost heap delights

My compost heap always gives me a surprise yield of potatoes, which are always cleaner and better than any that I plant out myself in the garden.  Having dug over the heap to harvest them a few weeks ago I now find that the heap has sprouted many very healthy tomato seedlings.

Has anyone had any experience of potting such seedlings on and keeping them over winter?  It's a nice idea but my instinct is that, even if I put them in the conservatory with heat, they will either become leggy and unmanageable over winter or simply will not survive.  Can you help?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,387

YES, YOU ARE RIGHT, THEY WILL EITHER GROW TALL AND SPINDLY OR THEY WILL DIE BEFORE THE SPRING.

AND THEY WON'T COME TRUE -THEY WILL BE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TOMATOES FROM THEIR PARENTS.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Thanks for your replies, Pansy and Philippa.  As you say, I've nothing to lose by trying, so I'll give it a go and see what happens.

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,490

I think people normaly overwinter a plant or two, which does become leggy but then you take cuttings from those lanky plants and use those for next years crops.