Forum home The potting shed

Pottig benches

I would like to find out individuals opinions on what they think the essentials are in a potting bench when building? 

Many thanks, 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,399

Space - you want to have room for the compost and be able to work without it spilling over the sides and front whether you're working with pots or trays of modules.   Correct height for you so you don't knacker your back bending or stretching too high.   Site it so that you can work under shelter in inclement weather and make sure it has space and/or a shelf to store pots/trays/bags of compost under or next to it for convenience.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,991

Says it all!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Thank you for you response guys! I'm using it for my A level Product Design project, as I will be designing a potting bench and I wanted to find a gardeners opinion on what you think is best! 

Thank you!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,828

Mine's made from Dexion with gro bag trays on top. Very basic, very practical and cheap.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444

I would like a decent potting bench with wheels at one end so easy to move to clean under. Also hooks or loops on the end to store tools, a small drawer for seeds and a shelf over the top wide enough for bottles, seedling pots and spritzer. The potting tray should be removable for washing and deep enough that the compost doesn't spill everywhere. Decent shelf at the bottom large enough to house spare pots and bag of potting compost.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.