Forum home Problem solving

Unhappy Orchid

I have an orchid that has been quite happy all summer but in the last month its flower petals have gradually started to dry up and fall, and the stalks to both flower heads have turned a woody/yellow colour (see attached picture). I water it every two weeks and have now moved it to a sunnier position (it was previously in a relatively darker, shady spot). I have given it orchid food a few times but only started doing so after it started drooping. 

I would very much appreciate any hints of how I can bring it back to full flowering health, or whether you think I am fighting a losing battle. 

Thankyou in advance!image

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,154

Lfin. Thats normal behaviour. The flowers die off and all you need to do is to cut the flowering stems back to a little node (bump) on the green part of the stem and fresh flower stems will break from there. I can see one below the little plastic clip on the right hand stem as I look at it. The leaves hide the other stem. You are probably watering a bit too often. I water mine once a month and I use rain water - kept in the house so that it is at the right temperature. Rest assured your orchid looks very healthy and do keep it out of direct sunlight.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Hello Ladybird4, thankyou so much - that is very helpful. I will now move it from my very sunny kitchen window sill and do a bit of pruning! Hopefully I will flowers again soon.

Many thanks again.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,154

These orchids are very difficult to kill Lfin. image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable