Forum home The potting shed

small packs of grit for rose cuttings?

Does anyone know where I can get a very small (not over 1 kg max) bag of grit (or something similar to mix with normal compost)? It's to make cuttings of a couple of very old and much loved roses.

I really don't want to buy a lot as I won't be gardening here for long - planning my escape before the Brexit disaster kicks in! If I can't get a small bag of something I guess I'll just go with normal compost.

• ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 605

Aquarium shops usually sell small bags of natural gravel or you could try one of the large pet shops

• Thanks!    image

• I read that you can root a rose cutting in a potato . I wonder if anyone has tried it!

• Given that the roses in question are on their last legs, I'm afraid I won't be the one to try image

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,993

Homebase sell small bags of RHS branded horticultural grit and sharp sand etc https://www.homebase.co.uk/rhs-horticultural-grit-sand-handy-pack_p372920

I think it's 3kg but that's like a couple of bags of sugar.

They also sell Vermiculite which is obviously very lightweight and it's good for cuttings.

• Thanks! I did try the local aquarium, but again only rather large bags of different gravels. Will try Homebase.

• If you have a local pet shop / smallholder supply shop, then they will sell sharp grit for chicken keepers.

My local store sells it by weight, as much or as little as you like, and cheaper than the garden centres.

• Hmmm... good idea! No idea where there is one around here, though....