Plants that root in water

• B3B3 Posts: 10,006

I know what you mean about too many plants Iam! It's too easy to pop too many in the jar.

Thanks for the heads up on some dead horses, Bobimage

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

You could always put your extras on the seed and plant swap B3. image Just sayin' image

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,772

I did quite a few like this this year. Shrubby salvias like 'Hot Lips' and herbaceous ones like S. 'Amistad' and 'Love and Wishes' (all these rooted rapidly); Verbena bonariensis and rigida (rooted rapidly); Nepeta 'Junior Walker' (after a couple of weeks or so), Cuphea cyanea (rapidly), Vietnamese coriander (presumably other persicarias too),

Helichrysum italicum took a while to root in water, and not all plants rooted, I transferred to a pot in the shade outside and most did root though.

It's a technique that's so simple there's nothing to stop you having a go with all sorts of things.

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,347

Sedums are easy. 

You can get results from lavender if you plant the whole tired looking clump deep into the ground with top bits showing and they seem to start rooting. I wonder if the existing  old wood provides enough energy to get it going. I have never suceeded otherwise with lavender.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,131

Phlox doesn't root in water. Tried it didn't work. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

˄˄ Re lavender, worth trying hardwood cuttings in mid autumn. Stick em in a ridge of soil with some sharp sand worked in.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,087

Semi-hard Weigela cuttings usually root.

SW Scotland
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,561

I take cuttings of Brugmansia in Autumn. They live in a jar of water in the kitchen windowsill all winter, then I pot them up in Spring. They will usually flower the same year.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

Ooh Brugmansia... I would like to try growing that next year!

• I root in water: basil, all kinds of mint, hibiscus (the hardy sort), hydrangea, fuchsia, busy lizzie, penstemon, rhododendron, geranium.  I stick everything in a jar of water by the kitchen sink, hoping they’ll behave.  Some do, some don’t.

I grow lavender cuttings in pure sharp sand.  I propagate thyme and heather by plunging the whole pot, up to its ears, into a larger pot of sandy compost.  Several weeks later, I have many branches with new roots.