The effect of Brexit on your garden

I think in view of Brexit, we should reinstate Dig for Victory. No more Spanish courgettes or Italian tomatoes. Bring back the good old fashioned swede and turnip.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

He's attacking it from the angle of Brazil.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,624

I'm not sure about 'dig for victory', think it it will more likely be 'dig for survival'. image

I've already been working on revamping my neglected veg garden. Think Spanish courgettes and Italian tomatoes may be hard to come by and the prices will certainly rocket (pun intended)image for lots of things.

Actually even the Italians are having problems getting tomatoes following this year's drought and blistering heatwave. And Prosecco too, in all likelihood!

So much of our food is imported and even to grow some of it ourselves needs both infrastructure and expensive energy to make up for our climate. Some of the very largest vegetable growers have pretty much got full automation with precisely targeted nutrient and weedkiller application for optimum yield and minimum environmetal harm, but the others will have to make a lot of changes and there's not much evidence of forward thinking, least of all by the Government!

We'll have to get used to having seasonal veg again too. Luckily I love cabbage family and carrots etc but bad news for the Mediterranean dietimage

• SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444

When I was a kid we ate what was in season and even now I try to buy home grown in season veg.

seems daft to me to be eating beans flown in from Kenya or strawberries from Spain when I can eat a carrot or blackberries grown a few miles down the road. I don't need to eat mass produced under poly tunnels strawberries from Spain or Portugal in December.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,810

I don't really care much for swedes and turnips. I live in SW France so most veg here is from France. But when I lived in England I grew masses of runner beans, lettuces, spinach, broad beans, peas, purple sprouting broccoli - all of which struggle in the heat here and need lots of watering. In England I had a greenhouse and there was no problem with growing tomatoes. I grew courgettes in England too.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,402

I've grown courgettes outside in containers. I even grew some on the compost heap - but not in Decemberimage

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,402

The best answer for developers is : "Tough!"

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • MrsFoxgloveMrsFoxglove SurreyPosts: 180

I totally agree with you Sussexsun, have never really understood why so much stuff that can be grown here is imported from other countries. Surely we should be supporting home grown (here in the UK) as much as we possibly can? image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,971

I'm wondering who will harvest all these crops post Brexit. Talk to any farmer and they all say the same , " English folk don't apply for the jobs" that's why the fields are full of Eastern Europeans.

The Elephant in the Room is that a lot of Brits think they're too good to pick fruit and veg.

Ditto wipe bottoms and mop up sick in care homes.

Last edited: 26 August 2017 10:55:38

Devon.
  • SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444

Hosta maybe if people were prepared to pay a more realistic price for the fruit and veg then the farmers would be able to pay a living wage to their workers and so it would be easier to find people willing to work in the fields. Years past and students used to find summer work picking fruit and veg now they employ gangs of eastern europeans and pay cash in hand below min wage. Now you will tell me that I am wrong and they all pay min wage but I personally know Romanians who work the summer both here and else where for less than min wage. Might not be legal but I know it happens.

But don't get me started on the pittance we pay to the people who care for our most vulnerable. I am sitting here now in my husbands hospice room. everyone who is caring for him deserves a lot more than they are paid and that includes the 2 Eastern Europeans I have so far met.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,990

Yes two big political problems ,short term thinking & Money. My Mother was a civil servant at a time when governments changed frequently and they always seemed to want to undo whatever the previous administration had done, almost as a point of policy, and so they could be seen as doing something.

The other big issue is money it is interesting when you see comparisons of  prices between here and say Australia & New Zealand their food costs & general cost of living are at least half as much again as ours! (OK. the wages are higher too). When we joined the EU and cut our imports of their produce their farmers really struggled for some time.

I am very happy to eat seasonally, but I admit we buy salad etc in the winter, it would take a huge effort to be more self sufficient, commercially energy costs being a very significant factor.

AB Still learning