Sharpening Tools

I've been looking into what i need to buy to sharpen my Felco2 secateurs, loppers, shears etc. 
Previously I've sent them off to be sharpened but feel it is time to do it myself.

I've been recommended the Felco diamond sharpener, but if I buy that would I be able to use it to sharpen my loppers and shears ?

Any advice gratefully received, thank you x

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,177

I use an oilstone.  I use it to sharpen everything - pretty much every time I take anything out of the shed:  Loppers, long-handled lawn scissor things, secateurs, whatever.

Works for me.

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,177

My hedge shears are like razors and I have quite a metre'age of hedge to deal with.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,262

I've never sharpened any of my tools, ever. image

Devon.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,152

I'd never sharpened anything till this yr, would just buy a new sharp tool. 

I had 8prs of blunt secateurs...how difficult can it be to sharpen then...me thought...not that difficult. ..

An oilstone and oil works well, for large tools I use a file. 

Some tools aren't made to be dismantled so I use linseed oil to lubricate the joints.

• John102John102 Posts: 1

If it's any help Peanuts3 I use the Felco diamond sharpener regularly and it works very well. It is a bit on the small side for larger tools though.

For these I use twin diamond file bought from Niwaki and this is excellent for all the larger tools. I can also recommend Camelia oil (from the same company) for cleaning and lubricating.

Good luck.

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

Thank you for these responses. I shall look into all of the option. X