Forum home Fruit & veg

Can't get rid of Whitefly..... HELP!

I am having a huge problem with whitefly in my greenhouse  especially on my pepper plants. I have tried using French marigolds which have not done anything to reduce numbers and  yellow sticky traps didn't work.

I am a farmer so have got access to insecticides which I have been using (as a last resort) as seen by all the dead whitefly on the leaves of the plant. I don't want to spray them all the time but the damn things keep coming back!!! 

what can I do to rid myself (and my plants) of these loathsome pests?

pleaee see pictures below.

thank you in advance 

Tom

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,780

Is it possible to put the growbags onto boards and drag them outside into the sunshine, fresh air and rain ?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• westy2kkwesty2kk Posts: 3

No unfortunately taking the grow bags out wouldn't be possible as there is not enough room by the door of the greenhouse.

• TootsietimTootsietim Posts: 178

an organic friend of mine used to claim that only Mexican marigolds deterred whitefly, and another acquaintance uses a hand held vacuum, (dustbuster) to suck the adults out of the air because they fly off when disturbed.

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,176

In this month's GW magazine Monty says that he grows basil next to his tomatoes to deter whitefly. I hadn't heard this before but I also grow basil in my greenhouse and don't suffer greatly from whitefly.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,650

I grow basil and marigolds amongst my toms. and have no whitefly or any other unwanted insects.
    Once the basil goes over I do get some whitefly toward the end of the season, but nothing significant.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.