Forum home Fruit & veg

Tomato plant advice

Hi all looking for some advice plz  somthing is eating my tomatoes  im wondering even through they still green do you advice i pick them before i lose them all  thanks

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,646

The only time I've had this happen it was slugs/snails.
    It was mostly the lower trusses that had been nibbled but the little bu**ers did some damage to trusses up to about 2ft off the ground.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Look very, very carefully because you may find it is a tomato moth.  They are masters of disguise but do damage a lot of tomatoes.

• Yvonne121Yvonne121 Posts: 7

thanks both ive found caterphillers moths beetles slugs all feasting its very disheartening  im thinking of picking them and ripening then indoors would you advise this? because i dont want to lose anymore thanks

• BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 619

To be honest they're unlikely to taste very nice if you ripen them indoors.  My advice is to go out at dusk when the slugs are out and pick them off.  You can pick caterpillars off at any time.

Where do you keep your tomatoes?

I have them outside in grow bags 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,646

If there are any leaves touching the ground (or any other surface), removing them will be one less route to your toms. especially for slugs/snails.
    If the only route to your tasty toms is via the coarse-haired stems that should deter them - a bit

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

imageimageHi i found few of these today do u think they might be fruit worm thanks  uve removed lower leaves thanks

Last edited: 26 July 2017 21:02:29

• BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 619

That looks like fruit worm, yes.  I had lots of those last year though they ate mostly leaves and not fruit. I guess I was lucky.

they eating tomato leaving holes i cant seem to find anything to stop them in uk all us products