Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Constricting sleeper walls with the long side up

can somone help, we are constructing a 3m x 3m square seating area which will be enclosed by a small sleeper wall, approximately three sleepers high using using 100 x 200 x 2400 sleepers. We are considering constructing the wall with the sleepers placed with the 100 side on the horizontal rather than the usual 200 side, can we still fix these with the standard sleeper screws or  will we need to add vertical retaining posts for stability?

Any suggestion gratefully received.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I would add posts for stability.  Once in place you want them to stay.  Heavy blighters to manoeuvre.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Graham185Graham185 Posts: 6

Thanks Obelixx,

This is the area, as you can see currently occupied with a big hole. the base will be filled with compacted slate and dust topped off with 20mm slate chippings. I had hoped to hide any fixings but thought supports may be needed.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

One way of providing extra support is to drill through the sleepers and hammer rebar down through the holes so they go down at least 18" (~45cm) into the soil beneath.  This method is particularly good if you are using them to retain heavy soil or when terracing a slope.  It's also effectively hidden.

Last edited: 23 July 2017 13:14:44

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

The method suggested by Bob was the one used when we had raised beds constructed 3 sleepers high, with the sleepers stood on edge i.e. 200 mm high.  No other support is required as long as the reinforcing bars a set well into the ground.

BobTheGardener says:

One way of providing extra support is to drill through the sleepers and hammer rebar down through the holes so they go down at least 18" (~45cm) into the soil beneath.  This method is particularly good if you are using them to retain heavy soil or when terracing a slope.  It's also effectively hidden.

Last edited: 23 July 2017 13:14:44

See original post

Thanks for that.

If I use rebar for three sleepers high could I drive the rebar through all three layers or should I stagger the joints, I.e. One through the first layer into the ground then another through the second and finally onother through the third?

KT53 says:
    The method suggested by Bob was the one used when we had raised beds constructed 3 sleepers high, with the sleepers stood on edge i.e. 200 mm high.  No other support is required as long as the reinforcing bars a set well into the ground.
    See original post

Do you know what dimension the rebar was ,i.e. 8, 10, 12mm ?

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,145

I've done a job just like this recently and I used long coach bolts used at an angle of c30 degrees after pre-drilling with a long wood drill bit. Something like these 

Or you could use a strap 

Dave Humby says:

I've done a job just like this recently and I used long coach bolts used at an angle of c30 degrees after pre-drilling with a long wood drill bit. Something like these 

Or you could use a strap 

imageSee original post

Thanks Dave, I never thought of that idea did you anker the sleepers to a mortar bed using rebar ? 

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,145

Mine was a retaining wall although it was more for effect as the soil bank behind it was long established but unsightly. I used scaffold tubes as uprights and in the ground using postcrete and lengths of chain as the 'brackets' held in place to the railway sleepers using coachbolts. The bottom row of sleepers sat on a bed of type1 hardcore scalpings with lengths 15mm pvc pipe sat in the type1 to allow for any drainage.

Do I read it correctly that you are creating a four-sided square in constructio? 

Dave Humby says:

Do I read it correctly that you are creating a four-sided square in constructio? 

See original post

No the shape will  be an oblong with one corner cutout for a walkway through, this is the point in the picture where two paths will intersect.