Forum home Problem solving

Wood lice

I have what I thought was a healthy copper beech tree about 18years old and 20ft high in full leaf.

I have noticed cracks in the bark and on peeling the dead  bark back have found wood lice infesting the space between the bark and the trunk. 

What is going on and what can I do about it? I also have problems with any sort of plants as wood lice just munch their way through everything except hardy shrubs.

Any help gratefully received

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 78,278

Wood lice are not harming your tree ... they're just taking advantage of the space under the bark to provide them with a safe home.  They don't have the mouth parts to eat anything except the softest of fruit, which they suck.  They're not eating your plants ... something else is.

Can you post photos of the damage to your plants so we can have a stab at identifying the problem. 

Start with the camera icon ... you may need to reduce the size of the photo if it doesn't upload. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for your replies, much valued. I will take some photos tomorrow and see if you can offer further advice.

Thanks

Pat