Gate post repair

What ho possums!  

The 100 x 100 wooden posts supporting the back garden gate have rotted at the bottom (there is a surprise!)  Am fixing with concrete spurs set into the ground with PostCrete and bolted to the existing wooden supports, which are OK above ground.  

Having dug out a 300mm x 600mm hole for the supports, the PostCrete will go around three sides of the concrete post but the forth side is the existing, rotting wood. 

Should I remove this wood and pack PostCrete around the back?  YouTube videos do not even suggest doing so, let alone even mention the old wood.  

Toodle pip and thanks  

Rex

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,970

I would gouge out as much of the rotting wood as you can, Rex.  It will only hold water and fungi so best removed while you can get at it.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • RekusuRekusu Posts: 49

That is my feeling too.  I can just see that with the limited size of the hole, getting PostCrete behind will be a challenge.

But then, if a job is worth doing, it's worth doing well.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,937

I took a hammer and chisel and cut out my old fence post. Quite satisfying work!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • RekusuRekusu Posts: 49

Have pulled the bottom bits out now.  One almost totally rotten, the other, only the upper third, the deepest part seemed OK.

But in cutting the posts near the ground level, the wood is pretty well 'dry' rot for the first few centimetres.  Not sure the easiest way forward, but think I will install the concrete repair spurs and the existing posts.

Next year, if I feel like some further work, can replace the posts  which as they will only e bolted to the concrete, will be easy to remove.