Bottomless Pot to contain Mint?

I have googled but cant seem to find anything. Can anyone help?

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 1,952

What exactly do you want to know?

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,803

You want a bottomless pot to contain mint?  Get your oldest secateurs and cut the bottom out of a plastic tomato pot or bucket. That's what I do. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,332

I would wan't to keep the bottom of the pot firmly in place so the mint roots don't escape. It is a menace. 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444

I sunk an old washing up bowl into the bed and planted the mint into it. for a number of years this stopped the mint from taking over. We have since moved so I cant say if it is still contained.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

Iamweedy says:

I would wan't to keep the bottom of the pot firmly in place so the mint roots don't escape. It is a menace. 

See original post

Mint won't spread out of the bottom of a big pot ... the runners spread over the ground surface, not deep down,  and as long as you keep them from spreading over the edge of the pot they can't put down roots outside the pot.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I have mine in large pot with its bottom intact but the top of the pot is a few inches above ground level.  This seems to work and has done for a few years.

• zenpmdzenpmd Posts: 28

Does anyone know how deep the roots go? My thinking of a bottomless pot was because, while I don't want it to spread sideways, and therefore I want something with edges, I don't want to restrict its downward growth and interfere with its ability to get water during dry conditions.

Jekka Farm described a bottomless pot as though it was something you could buy

We dug ours out this spring, sorted the roots out throwing out the old and replanting the newer pieces in the pots sunk into the ground.

If I remember correctly the roots didn't go deeper than about 8 inches. 

• zenpmdzenpmd Posts: 28

Cool, so about an 8 inch pot will do it

Mine are in big tomato pots with the bottoms cut out. ... mint does need a good bit of space in order to give of its best

Please excuse the weeds and edges etc ... I'm laid up at the moment with a broken foot image

Last edited: 16 June 2017 08:45:42