Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Gardeners World - Pond Blue Dye

On the last program the newby was building a pond and dropped in some blue dye but I did not catch what it was called

I have just taken 99% of the water and algae out of my pond and replaced a frog and some newts and I want to get the water as clear as possible

I appreciate that the "stuff" in suspension will sink in due course

? Can anyone help please

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

There have been 2 recent threads on this topic over the last week or so. The search facility doesn't really work on this site, but I'm sure you could track them down.
    Do bear in mind that you're dyeing the water a dark colour, so you won't be able to see much more than a few inches under the surface - I'd imagine
    The water will clear by itself quickly if you've got lots of oxygenators to use the nutes in the water

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813

Good p[oint

I have yet to buy the plants which I will in the next few days 

What is a basic oxygenating plant to restart the pond

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

Hornwort is very good if you can find it, but seems in short supply this year.

If you have a look at oxygenators on these sites, it'll give you an idea of what to get

http://www.puddleplants.co.uk/

https://www.watersidenursery.co.uk/shop/oxygenating-plants.html

I did buy some from waterside, they all died. Another member on here did order from p/plants and was very happy

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.