Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Ideas for greenhouse growing

So at my stepmom's house, we have this greenhouse that I would like to put in use. So I was wondering if any of you have any ideas for some interesting and special plants I can grow in the greenhouse. I live in Denmark so the weather might be a problem.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,886

Hi there. Are you thinking about something decorative or something you can eat?

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • A mix

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,886

Tomatoes, chillies and cucumbers can be grown succesfully in a greenhouse as your edible crops and you could have pelargoniums, succulents, cacti or alpines for your ornamental plants.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • BLTBLT Posts: 525

You can also start off some runners and some French beans.. then put them in big pots outside..  I have my first proper greenhouse about 6 weeks ago and its proving to be super.. Got so much growing I need a bigger one lol

Last edited: 23 April 2017 20:07:32

• What about a grape vine with the roots outside the greenhouse and the vine in. A small peach tree along one side. And then a  lettuce patch, they are quite tender leaves in the shade of a  vine when it's early in the spring. The list is endless, it depends how much work you want to do. Enjoy.

• Thanks everybody for the ideas :D

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

I thought about the grapevine idea too but the design of my Polycarbonate Gh was such that it would be impossible as the panels are so much larger than glass ones .. So I had to give up on that one.. As to salad I found when I grew Rocket last year it was bolting as too hot and when that happens it doesn't taste nice..  Shade is so important and ventilation..

But good luck as I wish I had bought the bigger gh now  image

Last edited: 24 April 2017 17:27:01

• SkandiSkandi Posts: 1,723

Hey I live up in nordjylland, and I can say that all the usual suspects like tomatos and cucumbers do well, if you want to grow some huge Asier put them in the greenhouse too, I've had great success with them.

Corriander and basil rather like it inside, and aubergines also do well in a unheated greenhouse, "skole agurk" are a bit more fun than normal cucumbers as well.

The weather here is on a par with the midlands in the summer, though the last two summers have been terribly wet and cold, hoping for better this year.

My unheated greenhouse dropped down to -7 this year in the depths of winter so not much can overwinter there.

Last edited: 25 April 2017 21:30:46

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

Don't think you could share the greenhouse with tomatoes and cacti, succulents and alpines. The latter 3 like a dry sunny environment while the tomatoes will like it a bit shaded and humid. Plenty of house plants would like it though.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller