No frogspawn

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,743

Still no frogspawn in my pond in West Midlands had loads 

last year, should I give up hope?

• lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 314

I've had a pond for about 4 years and I'm still waiting!!!?

• The hopeful herpetologistThe hopeful herpetologist West YorksPosts: 406

Hi debsjlewis. How long have you had your pond? If it is relatively newly installed I wouldn't worry too much as there will be a great deal of fluctuation whilst it gets established. If your pond is 'established' (having been there for, say, 5 years or more) then you may wish to explore the possibility of high loss due to the presence of predators nearby (eg cats, BoPs). I'm assuming you don't have fish in your pond, of course.

• I had a lot of frog spawn in my pond earlier. Sadly we had hail and torrential rain which seems to have destroyed it as there is no sign of it now, it almost disappeared overnight so I do not think the taddies had hatched. Fingers crossed there were some survivors. I do have fish in the pond but it was so early the fish had not come out of hibernation when the spawn disappeared. The fish are only just surfacing now, the spawn was laid at least a month ago.

• lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 314

Frustrating isn't it. I had a toad visit my garden , so I put in a pond and I haven't seen him/her since?

• The hopeful herpetologistThe hopeful herpetologist West YorksPosts: 406
    lovegardening77 says:

Frustrating isn't it. I had a toad visit my garden , so I put in a pond and I haven't seen him/her since?

See original post

Toads and frogs generally won't move into newly established ponds. Mainly because they lack enough silt at the bottom (in which they hide and, in the case of male frogs, hibernate). They are also seldom very rich in the invertebrates and mollusks that amphibian larvae depend upon. Give it 3 - 4 years and they should start arriving.

• ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 534

We built a wildlife pond May 2016 only seen one frog all last summer nobody else as a pond near us but March we had spawn and now tadpoles , We did put a layer of playsand in the bottom don't know if this helped but very pleased