Scilla Campanulata (White)

Hi, I bought the above plant from a local garden centre and this plant I have seen in Majorca at this time of year. I assumed it was a garlic or something else but it seems to be the white version of the Spanish Bluebell?? Is this right? The leaves seem narrower and the flowers are less chunky than what I would think of as a Spanish Bluebell. I'm a big fan of the native Bluebell so don't want to let any conquistadors out to ravage our native flowers. Also, I thought the Spanish Bluebell was not for sale in the UK any more?

Can anyone clear this up please? :) 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,043

I've see them listed as Scilla campanulata (Hyacinthoides hispanica) so assume a synonym. I didn't know they weren't for sale anymore.

• motorman1motorman1 Posts: 42

imageHere it is. It does like different to the blue version image

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,067

More about this plant on Wikipedia at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyacinthoides_hispanica

"The Spanish bluebell is also cultivated as a garden plant, and several named cultivars exist with flowers in various shades of white, pink and blue." Wikipedia article

This might explain why you have found some specimens at your garden centre. What does its label say exactly? Is it in flower? Could you please post photos (of the label and the plant and its flowers)?

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,067

@motorman1

Thanks for the pic... you read my mind!

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • motorman1motorman1 Posts: 42

imageimage