Forum home Garden design

Need some ideas please?

BalaBala Posts: 111

I have a small front and back garden and so far I have successfully resisted the pressure from "The Boss" to put a paved drive way.  I would like to make it  better  but am clueless. Would really appreciate some design ideas.

1. Entire front garden (view from Garage)

2. View from the front entrance

3. Right side (of the front entrance )

4. Left side (of the front entrance)

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,050

Is there a reason why the front bit is enclosed in wooden boards? And what direction does it face? Soil type?

All these will help us to suggest things.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,807

I wonder if a low box hedge around the beds would look nice, to tie it all together and provide structure. Then perennials, bulbs, shrubs and/or bedding inside.

• M FentM Fent Posts: 166

Can you get rid of the grass altogether? plant a multi stemmed small shrub (philadelphus belle etoile? Lilac?) in the middle of each area then underplant with perennials? (Hardy geranium, nepeta, daffodils, bluebells primrose ?) i can imagine it already

• BalaBala Posts: 111

Thanks for the replies.  "The Boss" is a "She"...my wife..lol.  I am more than happy to get rid of the grass altogether.  Saves me from mowing.

That little island enclosed in boards are just to stop soil from spilling. Nothing specific.

It is facing NW (north west)

I am open to completely revamping though.

Just started searching the plant suggestions.  I am unable to visualize what to plant and where.  Would appreciate any links that might help.

Last edited: 05 April 2017 08:44:11

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,017

This website has some pics of possibilities http://www.housebeautiful.co.uk/garden/designs/a87/designing-your-front-garden/

The RHS is running a campaign called 'Greening grey Britain' at the moment trying to revive the lost art of front gardening and their website also has some ideas, planting suggestions and links. It will also give you some strong arguments to put to The Boss during the discussions image

The other thing to do is wander along your road - especially the houses that face the same way as yours - and see if any of them grab you as what you do or even what you don't want.

Don't know where you are in the country, but there are bound to be some local open gardens that you could mooch around and look for plants and combinations that catch your eye.

Personally I'd avoid the box edging option - it needs quite a lot of work to keep it looking sharp. A multi-stemmed shrub under-planted could look fabulous - not sure I'd go for that x 3 - maybe just one in the 'block' that's furthest from the house and then lower plants closer to the building to avoid blocking your own light too much. You'll need plants that like partial shade for Northwest and ones that cope with a cold wind (that's a cold direction) and presumably your road is aligned Southwest to Northeast, so the strongest winter gales will run along the road. Good for your house, tough on the plants, so native is probably the way to go - rowans, crab apples, hazels, elder (there are small and ornamental varieties of all of these) - and not evergreens apart from possibly juniper or holly which would survive, but can be rather dark outside your front windows.

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • You could plant a low hedge along the front, and on the boundary between you and your neighbor. Leave the path clear, as this will open up the space and make it seem wider.

Plant up the upper level garden in low growing shrubs and flowering plants. Be sure to put a good fibrous mulch over the top. Tidy the timber edging, and paint it in a neutral shade so as to blend in with the house, and not stand out too much.An alternative is to place a row or two of bricks (or similar) on top of the existing edge and cement in place.

Put in more soil and compost in to raise the current level, leaving enough room for a 50-60cm layer of mulch. Leave a small 'lip' inside the boxed edge to prevent mulch from spilling over and onto the path.

Keep the front lawn simple with just  a low hedge in front and on the boundary. While standard roses look nice down a pathway, I would hesitate to plant anything too close to the path, as roses will catch on clothing, and planting anything down either side of the pathway will only crowd the front area in.

You could put a nice small tree on one side of the lawn, but I noticed that there are two large trees on the berm (by roadside), so they may be sufficient. As the overall area is relatively small, you don't want to overcrowd it. Hope this helps :)