Forum home Problem solving

what is this plant..?

imageimageimage

Found on the edge of a small village green in the shade under a tree, in a large clumps.   It appears to be a bulb, similar to a snowdrop..?

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,514

Could well be an Allium. did it have an oniony smell?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,239

It looks a bit like one of those 'Walking Onions' aka Egyptian Tree Onions.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ah I have that in my garden and was wondering what it was!

• Hi I think its a Summer Snowflake. I bought some bulbs from a Dutch Supplier at a Christmas Market, potted them up and left them in a poly tunnel. They are now beginning to flower -  I would post a picture but the weather is a bit dreich here in Argyll.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 30,547

I agree with Kathleen - Leucojum

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Allium paradoxum

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,239

That looks right Nut image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

All wrong for leucojum, wrong shape and no green (or yellow) dots on the ends of the petals. Those strange angles and lumpy bits are typical allium

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,514

Agree, definitely not Leucojum vernum. I thought of the form of Allium paradoxum when I saw the bulbils in the leaf axils. A.p.var normale does not have them and is a rather nice plant.

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,108

We've had this growing in all the road verges near me in the last couple of years and I'd been wondering what it was! I think it's really pretty.