Forum home The potting shed

Just need to vent...

• Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,031
    Doghouse Riley says:
    Daisy33 says:

There is always the "OFF" switch for anyone who does not wish to watch/hear. It really is very useful, works well, and fail safe. Do try it.

See original post

Daisy, this is quite true, but there's also the facility on this board, to "scroll down," should you personally consider anything posted . within the terms of conditions of course, inappropriate, or of no interest to you.

There's no need to be sarcastic.

Last edited: 25 March 2017 10:15:10

See original post

You have completely missed my point, but no matter. image

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Correct, we do not have to watch and yes we all have on off buttons, or on here a scroll facility, though we do tend to be a curious lot. BBC think they need pander to that curiosity by their phrenetic coverage 24 hours seven days a week. What annoys me is the need to be filmed on site, have they not heard of greenwall and back ground projection? Why go to all the cost of moving people around on already over loaded road systems, where does global warming come into the equation I ask.

As to content this is a discussion part of the forum, we all have views some widely divergent to others. In my case those who attack inocent people to pursue thier own ends are terrorists no matter what they do in the future. Those people leave devastated families broken bodies and cause breakdown in social order, would I have obeyed the order to shoot on sight? Yes I would at that time and those circumstances. Someone has to say it.

Frank.

• Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,031

Not going to have an argument Doghouse, it really is just too nice a day. image

• oakridgeoakridge Posts: 83

It is good to see that almost anything goes in the 'Potting Shed' - let's say what we think.  It was significant that many news channels devoted hours and hours to the tragedy whereas Londoners had the right idea and drank tea and carried on.  There was a really good piece written by an American student who was attending a course in London barely a mile away from the tragedy but everyone around was just doing what they always did.  The student received all sorts of frantic calls from the States and she explained to them that this is London.  It wasn't like the Blitz.

Our daughter was visiting my cousins in Maidenhead and visiting the Science Museum  the Iranian embassy siege started.  There were police everywhere and no-one could get near - except my cousin Joy, a lady not to be gainsaid.  She got through to take her two sons and Kathryn home - British spirit don't ya know.

Got to go and do something far more important now in the garden.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 5,736
    Daisy33 says:

There is always the "OFF" switch for anyone who does not wish to watch/hear. It really is very useful, works well, and fail safe. Do try it.

See original post

But I do wish to watch and hear.  I want to watch and hear FACTS, not speculation, supposition or rumour on news programmes.  I don't want to see reporters shoving microphones in people's faces and asking 'How did you feel' immediately after a life altering event.  I don't even have a problem with speculation, supposition or rumour on discussion programmes, I simply ask that news programmes broadcast facts.

At least the BBC did avoid the claim made by Channel 4 News to know the perpetrator, and then name a person who is currently in prison!

The priority for broadcasters seems to be to be first with anything, rather than first with an accurate report.

KT, I am with you, those reporters are on an ego trip to be first with everything, accuracy is not important even if (and they do) get it wrong, they just claim it was the information they had at the time which proved incorrect  a cop out by my standards. If some one shoved a Mike in my face after something like that awful event they would be speaking Latin into it from the wrong end of the body, I do not wish to see people sobbing their hearts out from shock fear and distress at what they have just seen happen. Even they must realise some things cannot be given out at the time as security services had to weigh it all up then dash round the country searching places so evidence was not destroyed, or is that too much for simple brains to understand.

Also with you DR, I knock the sound off or switch over when they do that to Athletes who have just given their all, fail or not they are all winners.

Frank.

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,116

Far worse than the news coverage is the response on social media. I won't go into it here but some of the stuff I've seen has been disgraceful.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 5,736

I don't go on social media so have no knowledge of what's posted there.  The big difference between that and the BBC is that the BBC should be expected to act responsibly.

Last edited: 26 March 2017 10:04:25

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,700

Precisely, KT.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

WillDB, Social Media is the Forum in Roman times, people who are not going to get hurt feeding innocents to the Lions. I am not on any of it, would not go on any of it and cannot understand why people would put their whole lives on such a media where it is almost an invitation to be abused. That twittering thingee is to me for twits, that is the kind word. Point one who is interested as to who went to a certain coffee shop and paid a ginormous sum for hot water milk and a few grounds of pick me up, point two who the [email protected]@@ are the people who would read such stuff, they need to get a life, something like gardening, growing things, not destroying ego's on a trip. OK bite me and you will be bitten back and not in one throwaway line either.

Frank.