Forum home Wildlife gardening

Why have the bluetits attacked the wire of my nest cam?

Hi everyone. Is there anyone who whould be able to tell me why the bluetits have destroyed the wire to my nest box camera. They have been going in and out for a few weeks now. Not nest building. I could see the bird going to the corner constantly but could not work out what they were doing. Then my camera stopped working and this is what I found.

Any ideas.

• EsspeeEsspee Posts: 272

Mike, I think this might be a privacy issue.  ?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,697

I TAKE IT THAT THE PHOTO IS ON ITS SIDE?

I THINK THEY HAVE BEEN ROOSTING ON IT OVERNIGHT. I THINK THE GREY ACCRETION IS POO. I THINK THE CONNECTION GAVE WAY UNDER PRESSURE FROM A COMBINATION OF MOVEMENT DURING SLEEP AND THEIR WEIGHT.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Mike pMike p Posts: 4

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I have had another look and the grey stuff that is in the pic is gaffa tape tape that I had forgot that I had used to secure the connection. Seems like they have been pecking at it for some reason. I have now removed the tape and repositioned the cable. I will have to see what they do now.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,739

Female blue tits often spend time adjusting the entrance and interior of their chosen nesting place.  Our nest boxes have signs of 'amendment' around the entrance holes. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Actually I have seen them adjusting the entrance hole. Maybe the decor wasn't to their taste!image

• I still agree with Esspee, definitely a privacy issue!  

Seriously, though, I expect the tape was soft enough for them to be 'arranging' it to their taste.  Good luck with fixing it, because it is an exciting thing to watch when it all starts happening

H-C

Just because we provide them with 'ideal' nesting places, that doesn't remove their natural instinct which tells them to prepare the site.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Many thanks for everyones replies. Since reconnecting, take off duck tape and moving the wire the bluetits have started to bring in nesting material!! 

It is obviously now up to their standards image