Forum home Tools and techniques

Best branch garden saw

I use a Felco 600 folding saw but I noticed Monty was using a really good looking saw for larger branches/smaller trees.  Can anyone tell me what saw he was using or what you could recommend? 

• Don't know what he had, (I never watch him), but the best saws I know are Silky saws. It's the tree surgeon's preferred weapon of assault, very sharp, long lasting, easy to use and can be safely housed in a sheath (on the belt, if necessary). There are different sizes and some variations on a theme. They're all medium to small saws but punch well above their weight. £45 and upwards. 

H-C 

Last edited: 20 March 2017 12:15:39

• KT53KT53 Posts: 5,570

I bought one from the Wolf range a couple of years ago.  It's lethally sharp.  Monty tends very much to use top of the range tools, with prices to match.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,422

I use a Wolf pruning saw too for branches that can't be cut with loppers or secateur.  I've had it for over 25 years and it is still good.  Just needs an odd clean and a squirt of WD40.   It can be attached to either a hand length handle or a medium or a long so can be used for close work and higher branches.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 750

Hi Maureen,

I also use a Wolf pruning saw.

Works really well ... and being able to attach it to the long handle is excellent.

Bee

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,664

SILKY SAWS FOR ME EVERY TIME.

THEY WORK ON THE PULL, RATHER THAN THE PUSH, WHICH IS USEFUL FOR PRUNING AWKWARD BITS.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,025

I think all pruning saws work on the pull.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,664

AH.image

I'VE ONLY EVER USED A SILKY.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hi and thank you all.  I have bought and now used a Wolf Pruning Saw and am very pleased with it.  It was good of you to give your advice - much appreciated.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,422

Good to get feedback.   Enjoy.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,570

The other piece of advice I'd give is to make sure you put the shield back on each time.  Attempting to catch it when you drop it isn't a good idea without it!  Thankfully I had thick gloves on when I did it.