Forum home Wildlife gardening

No Kermit!!!

ive had a pond for about 4 years but no frogs have been! Annoyingly I spotted a toad in my garden before I had the pond put in! It's a ready made pond but I have made pebble steps in it and it has aquatic plants in pots. My mum has similar pond and got frogs pretty quickly. What am I doing wrong?

• I don't think it is particularly something you are doing wrong - the most likely reason is that you don't have frogs nearby.  Do your neighbours have ponds with frogs ?

Annoying it may be but you can't make wildlife visit your garden at the drop of a hat. If there are "spare" frogs in the vicinity, I'd have expected some to be looking at your pond by now. Frogs have suffered depletion in numbers in the last few years but have you thought about contacting your local Wildlife Trust and asking them about the population for your specific area.

All is not lost tho - if you have Toads and your pond is to their liking, you could get lucky.  They tend to breed earlier than Frogs.  Or perhaps Newts ? Again, a word with the Wildlife people may give you a clue as to what you can expect/ encourage to your pond.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,413

As well as having pebble steps and aquatic plants in the pond, have you plenty of long grass/cover plants on the banks around the pond?

Unless there's somewhere for them to hide they won't even make it to your pond - the predators will get them. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 331

That's a good point, that photo is just what I need. It is a bit sparse around the pond as I have mostly perennials. Can you suggest what else I could plant? The soil is clay.