Forum home Plants

wild primroses

LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

Found these primroses on the side of the path where I walk the boys. One is growing in a crack in the path.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

lovely, the wild primrose has a charm the bright coloured hybrids lack 

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,818

And despite their delicate appearance they are as tough as old boots image

“This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,229

Mine are rarely not flowering, they're such hard workers and love conditions here.

Always lovely to see  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,501

Mine have been flowering for months Fairy

Think I shall split them this summer, if they ever stop flowering. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The birds are very good at reseeding our primroses, we have never divided them but now they are growing on a large part of our lawn and front garden.  They are beautiful plants that remind me so much of my childhood.  My parents used to take us cliff walking to pick primroses which we bunched up and gave to relatives and neighbours.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,261

Love native primroses, much nicer than their garish relatives.  I planted a few along the side of the path and they have spread really well.  They are just about opening.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,229

Lovely GD - and a nice story image

I could do with splitting mine too Dove - might have to take my chances and just do it when they're flowering!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,988

One of the things we like about the Vendée is all the wild primroses growing in hedgerows and verges along the lanes and smaller roads.   I shall be sowing some for this garden.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

I don't know if they will grow in my garden, do they need to be in shade,or will they grow anywhere? Got some cowslips that came from nowhere. Would it be the same?

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,818

Yes, they are close relatives of cowslips. And they grow happily here in sun or shade, though they seem to self seed most prolifically into shade so I assume that's their preference.

“This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett