Forum home Garden design

Please help - fence disaster!

Hi,

Ive had this huge heavy duty boundary fence constructed and because of Doris they made up the panels at the unit and you can see right through it!

I made it clear that privacy was the whole point but he said  hit and miss fencing needed for the wind. I looked at photos and said no because of visibility on an angle and he assured me it would be tweaked and minimal. It isn't!

He isn't budging. Says to redo the whole thing at my cost or fill the gaps (and watch the wind rip it down).

Anyway, trying to not have a meltdown.

If I used willow screens against the fence for privacy, do you think that this would catch the wind or let it flow through?

Any other bright ideas?

Thanks

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

I'm really not very knowledgable at whether planting would let wind through... surely unless it was incredibly dense it would? I'd get planting!what aspect is it?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,108

Double sided fence is the only solution for wind I'm afraid. This is how I did mine - the wind predominantly comes from that side. It's all planted up inside that. 

What does your fence actually  look like ? are you able to add planks to the inside  or  put in somehedging/shrubs to help filter the wind? Willow screens will be ineffective I'm afraid. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

It does look slightly different now - can't see much of it for all the planting  image

- and the shed's in there too. 

It gives total privacy and withstands high winds without any issue. All the fences in adjacent gardens made of larchlap panels have to be repaired every winter - often several times - and they're more sheltered than mine.

• hi lb 191.having a lovely private garden is one of the nicest things to have. But having once had 6ft high solid fencing all the way around my old garden i would exercise caution if you live in an exposed area.The wind made mince meat of mine and i was forever repairing it .I have 5ft picket style fencing in my new house and the wind doesn't touch it.I plan to use planting for the privacy that we all crave in our gardens.

A solid barrier is no match for strong winds. There has to be gaps between the planks - whether they're vertical or horizontal - to let wind filter through. Planting on the inside will benefit from the shelter too, and shrubs or hedging will add to the baffling effect as well as giving privacy. 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,243

Agree with Fairygirl. The middle of three 7ftx6ft vertical weather board panels was taken out by Doris on Thursday. Two 4"x3" posts were snapped off. The panels are solid and heavy duty and the fence has lasted 17 years. That said, the total length is only 21ft with each end supported by 90 degree adjacent panels. The greater surface area creates greater wind resistance acting like a sail on a galleon and something has to give.