Forum home Fruit & veg

Controlling raspberry runners

Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,644

I've planted 15 raspberries and read that the runners can be a problem. They're planted about 15" in front of a west facing fence.

I've ordered some 30cm high root barrier - how far in front of the plants should I put the barrier?

Thanks

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,768

How big do you want your raspberry patch to be?  They'll spread as far as you'll let them.  At least, my autumn-fruiting Polka do - I dig them up, pot them up and give to friends image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,644

Hi Dove thanks for your reply.

Here's a pic of most of them. There's only me, so I don't want vast amounts of raspbs and I'd like to plant something in front of them. The one's here are early and mis-season. I've got 4 blackcurrant bushes in the square bit at the end

Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,768

Peter , you may not want vast amounts of raspberries but that's what you're going to get! We started with three canes of Polka three or four years ago. Every year we've had raspberries most days either for. Breakfast or supper, made at least six pounds of jam and frozen enough to almost fill a drawer in the freezer - we make lovely desserts with them at Christmas. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks Dove - The neighbours are already looking forward to my new veg and fruit plot :) as I'm sure are the pigeons!

I was thinking of putting the barrier about 15" in front of the canes, does that sound about right?

I've just read that I can expect up to 7lb of blackcurrants from each of my 4 Ben Connan bushes - I'll need a bigger freezer

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,472

We grow Polka as well. 

Planted four canes 2 years ago. First season just a few fruit on each - enough to tick over. But last year we had more than enough for the 2 of us for desserts, jam and some left over for the neighbours. There's still a couple of kilos in the freezer...

I'd consider taking some of your canes out Pete - I don't think you need that many.

Like Dove I control the runners by just digging them out whenever I see them.

I also wonder if there is enough room for 4 blackcurrant bushes in that end square? Depends which variety you're growing of course as to how big they will get & whether you're planning to grow them as bushes or cordons..

I have 2 Ben Lomond blackcurrants and one redcurrant bush planted in a line 5m long by about 1.2m deep. There is really only just enough room to get round them properly for pruning and picking.

Something else for you to consider: I laid a 4-6" deep mulch of good quality play bark round the raspberries and currants last year. It has helped enormously with preventing weeds from germinating, it helps retain moisture in the soil but the bark itself dries out really quickly after rain so it's pleasant to walk on for picking fruit. If any fruit touches the ground it also stays clean (the currants are sometimes in contact).

Edit to add: Our posts crossed there Pete!

Last edited: 24 February 2017 16:05:27

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down

ThanksTbird - I was thinking I may have to move a couple of the black/c bushes before they start growing. There's about 5ft between each of them

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,472

If you've got 5' between them Pete you should be ok.image - that's about the same spacing as mine. Didn't look as though there was much room as that in the photo - sorryimage

Nice raised beds BTWimage

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,384

My blackcurrant bushes each occupy a circle of about 4 ft diameter. I get  at least 7 pounds of fruit off of each of them. I don't net so I expect the blackbirds have a few as well.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

Cheers Tbird - I'll double check the spacing tomorrow just in case. Ben Connan is supposed to not get quite as big as the typical b/c bush, and I'm still in a bit of a dilemma what to grow in the other raised beds so I could do a bit of moving around. I wanted to keep the soft fruits in one area as I'll probably need to put some sotr of cage over them next year - but it'll all come together... I hope

Thanks fb - 5ft between them sounds good then