Global warming

I cannot deny that global warming is happening but I do have a distinct memory of when bringing my daughter and son home from hospital newly born, the daffodils were out on 23rd March and the crocus were out on the 16th February. They are 47 and 44 years of age now. Just saying.image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,630

That sort of supports the theory of global warming. 

Global warming doesn't mean that our weather is getting warmer - it means that our weather patterns are becoming more and more erratic. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,602
    Dovefromabove says:

That sort of supports the theory of global warming. 

Global warming doesn't mean that our weather is getting warmer - it means that our weather patterns are becoming more and more erratic. 

See original post

Er - no.  Global warming does mean the weather is getting warmer, the clue is in the term.  The use of the term was one of the reasons so many people railed against the claims that were being made in the first place. We've had some of the coldest winters, as well as some of the mildest, since the claims for 'global warming' were made.

Climate change means weather patterns are changing.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,257

There is good evidence from a number the major UK. gardens, that Spring [as judged by flowers and tree leaves appearing ] has got progressively earlier, over at least the last 150 years.

I have no wish to start an argument, but the so called claims for global warming have long ago been proved to be TRUE.

The only thing that is not clear, is how much of this warming is caused by us..

Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,286

I think the trouble with deniars is , if they don't see their garden bathed in hot sunshine all day every day, they deny it. 

Never mind rising sea levels, rising sea temperatures, shrinking glaciers etc etc.

I totally agree about not knowing if it's man caused, cyclical, what can be done about it, if it's worth trying etc etc. but it IS real.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,630

KT53 image Maybe I've misunderstood something, but my understanding was that although global temperatures overall are rising, this is causing weather patterns to become more erratic, so some areas are having snap cold spells which have not been usual before, eg the very cold spell in part of the US a while back, while some areas have hotter temperatures than has been usual in the past and some have wetter spells. 

There was a time when we thought that global warming simply meant warmer weather and rising sea levels - hence a sudden interest in drought resistant plantings. As time has gone on we're learning that it's much more complex than that. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• mattsmatts Posts: 37

'Global warming' as a term is rather a misnomer and i believe the preferred term is 'climate change' as it more accurately describes changing weather patterns.

As punkdoc suggests, it's a real phenomenon and almost all climatologists have confidence that the major causes are humans burning fossil fuel and cattle rearing.

• daydaisydaydaisy Posts: 364

On reflexion I think that light is the biggest factor in bringing on the spring.  Winters are certainly warmer and possibly wetter than they used to be. It is a worrying thought that humans are responsible for this climate change. I wonder how this has affected wildlife such as the length of hibernation for some species?image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,039

Mild UK winters are having a pretty bad effect on a lot of wildlife.  Overwintering moths and butterflies are one example - they are dying due to fungal infections which are more likely in warmer damper conditions.  Of course, other places in the world are having colder winters which brings more obvious problems.  While natural selection will result in other species more suited to the conditions taking over niche environments, that's no comfort to the species who they replace. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,874

Climate change is definitely the phrase to use.  That's why we are getting more devestating weather events.  I think we are more at risk than most,  I think scientists are worried about the changing climate/temperatures effecting the flow of the jet stream and the north atlantic current.  Both of these help keep Britain warmer.  So Global Warming/Climate change could in fact make Britain colder.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • mattsmatts Posts: 37

Absolutely Doghouse Riley, and the average temperature of the planet has been much hotter than it is now.

The question is whether humans are the cause of this current and extremely rapid warming trend.

You have to remember that the planet will survive no matter what. Given time the carbon in the atmosphere will be naturally sequestered and the methane will be broken down.

The real question is are we creating a climate that will support the current and growing human population.