Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Luiquidambar Robert Lane & Worplaston

Hello all

We are are looking to plant either one Luiquidambar Robert Lane or Worplaston, does anyone know if either trees bears spiky fruits (gum balls).

My concerns is that the spiky fruits will ruin the lawn, block drains and upset the neighbours (we will be planting it close to the neighbours boundary).

We are looking to plant the tree in the front garden, close to the footpath.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Andy

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I don't know how much trouble they are but when mature they will bear fruit if they're happy. 

The two names you mention are just cultivated varieties of the liquidamber. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 1,108

I have a worplesdon. I didnt notice any fruits, but maybe it is not old enough yet. Its a pretty tree though. Are you sure its not going to be too large for the position you want?

• AWBAWB Posts: 421

Be warned they are very susceptible to wind damage best planted in a sheltered position.

• Dilly3Dilly3 Posts: 91

Hi Andy,

we planted a Liquidamber 30 years ago, it's quite large and has been for many years. It started to have those spiky fruits only a couple of years ago. I didn't know what they were a first, thought the squirrel had been messing about in the garden again. They are late to come into leaf and one of the last to drop them. They are very colourful in the a autumn with their red leaves and because they are large they are easy to gather up. I'm sure your neighbours will be very happy to share this lovely tree with you. 

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

I planted Liuid Amber  'Slender Silhouette' a couple of years ago.  It grows about 18'tall by 6ft wide and is quite good for small gardens and/or planting close to the neighbours as it wont encroach on their garden.  It's proved to be very tough as I've had to move it once already and it coped really well.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands