Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tree

I want to add some height to my garden and encourage more wildlife. I'm looking for a smallish tree that will tolerate clay soil on a south west facing garden. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

Hawthorns are lovely trees.
    Pretty leaves, masses of blossom in the spring for the bees, berries for the birds in the autumn and a blaze of colour from the leaves before they fall.

There are some lovely crab apple trees that don't grow too big too.

Last edited: 08 January 2017 20:46:42

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

Rowan, white beam 

• Thank you to both of you. I have been considering the crab apple,I might look at the gelder rose too, Have a lot of ugly fence to hide.?. Are they suitable for clay soil?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

All absolutely fine on clay - use some compost/rotted manure when planting and if it's a very damp area and some grit will all be of help to get it off to a good start whatever you choose

Last edited: 08 January 2017 21:36:20

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • I'd go for hawthorn, too.  Much as I love the native white crataegus (C. monogyna), there is a lovely cultivar of the other native, C. laevigata, one called 'Crimson Cloud', which is a vivid deep pink, but has single flowers and therefore has berries, too. It's a beauty.

H-C  

• Bee witchedBee witched Posts: 1,295

Hi,

Amelanchiers are lovely trees .... and happy on clay.

They have lovely spring flowers ... berries in autumn for the birds ... and great autumn leaf colour too.

Bee 

Gardener and beekeeper in beautiful Scottish Borders  

A single bee creates just one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime
  • Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

Crab Apple is gorgeous for it's blossom & cherry 'Kanzan' is my absolute favourite but wouldn't specifically suggest it for wildlife. Anything that flowers and forms berries would be suitable. I have a holly shaped 'tree' that the birds also love in winter. 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

Hawthorn will get huge very quickly.   Some sorbus varieties are good and will help wildlife.

Have a read of this article in teh Daily Telegraph - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/how-to-grow/the-best-trees-for-small-gardens/ 

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I think the first thing I'd want to know is, what size is the garden? If my neighbour planted even a small tree like a Rowan, it would cast shade on the entire plot, whereas I could have several without any issue.

Having said that, Amelanchier will suit almost anywhere. A Rowan if you have a garden anything more than around 6 m by 6 m, as it won't remove every scrap of sun you get either. Any plot bigger than around that size - any of the other choices would probably be fine. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Wow thank you for all those suggestions and advice,I'm spoilt for choice?. I'm on a corner plot, quite a wide garden so a tree that doesnt grow massive wouldnt affect the neighbour on left side of us,  the other side of the fence is grass verge and pavement. I'm not planting a tree right next to the fence but about 2/3 ft away from it. I suppose when I say good for wildlife I mean something that does everything through the seasons!